nick.lockyer @ manchester.ac.uk
tel: +44 (0)161 306 4479
My research interests focus on the development and application of surface analysis and chemical imaging particularly ToF-SIMS and laser-based mass spectrometry. There are three themes to this research: fundamentals, instrument development and applications research. The Life Sciences provide an exciting field in which to develop new applications, which in turn drive developments in methodology and technology. We are currently seeking to exploit these advances through a variety of collaborations with fellow academics, industrial partners and healthcare professionals.
Research topics: Analytical Chemistry; Instrumentation; Chemical imaging; Ion-solid interactions; Laser-matter interactions.
Current Research Projects
- Development of ToF-SIMS instrumentation for biochemical microscopy
Collaborators: J.C. Vickerman (UoM School of Chemical Engineering & Analytical Science & MIB)
- Laser post-ionisation
Collaborators: N. Winograd (Penn State, Dept of Chemistry)
- Development of ToF-SIMS for metabolite profiling
Collaborators: R. Goodacre (UoM School of Chemistry & MIB)
- Imaging single biological cells using ToF-SIMS
Collaborators: J. Lovric, N. Papalopulu (UoM Faculty of Life Science)
- The application of ToF-SIMS in cancer biology, diagnosis and therapy
Collaborators: K. Williams (UoM School of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences); A. McMahon (UoM School of Cancer Studies and Wolfson Molecular Imaging Centre); P. Gardner (UoM, School of Chemical Engineering & Analytical Science), N. Clarke & M. Brown (UoM School of Cancer and Enabling Sciences & CRUK Paterson Institute for Cancer Research), G. Cruickshank, S. Green, A. Detta (University Hospitals Birmingham)
- ToF-SIMS imaging of Alzheimer Disease brain tissues
Collaborators: H. Boutin (UoM Faculty of Life Science);
EPSRC, BBSRC, CRUK
Recent Publications [All Publications]
- N.P. Lockyer, Laser Post-ionisation for Elemental and Molecular Surface Analysis in ToF-SIMS – Surface Analysis by Mass Spectrometry, Second Edition, Eds. J.C. Vickerman and D. Briggs, SurfaceSpectra (Manchester) and IM Publications (Chichester)
- N.P. Lockyer “Static Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry for Biological and Biomedical Research” Methods Mol. Biol. 369 (2007) 543-567
- INVITED, New prospects for metabolic profiling and imaging using secondary ion mass spectrometry, Metabomeeting 2012, Manchester, September 2012.
- New prospects for post-ionisation mass spectrometry using ultrafast laser pulses, 19th International Mass Spectrometry Conference, Kyoto, Japan, September 2012
- INVITED N.P. Lockyer, British Mass Spectrometry Society 2011, Cardiff, UK, Sept. 2011.
- KEYNOTE “Developments in biological analysis and imaging using Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry” Metabolomics 2011, Cairns, Australia, June 2011.
- INVITED “3D chemical imaging with cluster SIMS”, 20th Ion Beam Analysis conference, Itapema, Brazil , April 2011.